VanDweller Community Forums
Good morning - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic and Chit-Chat (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Good morning (/showthread.php?tid=32006)

RE: Good morning - VanFan - 03-23-2020

(03-21-2020, 02:07 PM)maki2 Wrote:  Well some of the women in my neighborhood are involved in a project sewing up face mask for the homeless. I have no ideal why...
Our local chapter of the American Sewing Guild (ASG) is working with a major hospital chain to address their stated need for masks.  A prototype has been provided to them for analysis.  There is some concern about the adequacy of tightly woven cotton, and they will let us know what concessions may be made, or whether we will be limited to their provided materials.  There appears to be a shortage of elastic--possibly as seamstresses copy every YouTube pattern in an effort to--as you say--feel empowered.  The hospital finds fabric ties to be fine.

Our goal is to meet the need rather than burden them with useless items.  Apparently, basic masks are being used over the N25's to prolong their life, as well as on patients to reduce health care workers' exposure.

I am coming to you fever free for the first day in close to two weeks, and feeling like my (admittedly old) self again!

Stay well.  Stay happy!

RE: Good morning - crofter - 03-23-2020

(03-23-2020, 01:00 PM)VanFan Wrote:  ... fever free for the first day in close to two weeks....
We are so glad to hear you are on the mend vanfan. If you or your friend were actually diagnosed and feel comfortable sharing, I would love to hear about your experience. 

82 degrees and sunny in southern AZ.
   -crofter

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 03-23-2020

As to the mesh for my door panels, I had been thinking about that Pfiffertex type of material for sometime. I can purchase it by the yard locally from Seattle Fabrics but was in no hurry for it. One day, on a visit to Goodwill, I found 6' x 5' piece of it for $15.00, the color and weave was just right for my needs.  pencil in photo for size reference.
[attachment=25423]

Got the door frame designs done for the cabinet on the opposite side done, The lower right area houses the pull out toilet and the upper left area houses the pull out 12v fridge. Below the fridge is the wheel well and there is just enough space in front of the wheel well for storing 5  -1 gallon jugs of drinking water.  Some decent sized drawers as well. The cabinet is 36" high.
[attachment=25424]

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 03-24-2020

Cool project, Maki. I wish I felt myself capable of doing something like that inside my van.

VanFan - what happened? I'm glad you're recovering.

Rain here. Nice for the forest trees. I'm so grateful to have a nice warm mobile home to spend the day in. I will edit another video for my art/creativity YouTube channel. I decided to save art for my retirement years (after kids grown and on their own) and that plan is working out nicely. I'm no great artist but am learning new things all the time. This year I'm enrolled in an acrylic painting class. I've used acrylics for many years, but now hope to get some practice making realistic scenes rather than my normal flat figures doing imaginary things. I consider myself a folk artist, but am willing to try to learn to be more than that. I figure I'll always just be me, though. There's a project coming up... called the "100 Day Project" that starts on April 7. I've decided to do story illustration for my 100 days. It is really one of the main reasons I've been pushing myself to learn more art skills - I have written stories I'd like to illustrate and publish.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 03-24-2020

travelaround  I can only do it because I wanted to learn how to do it or needed to do it. That is how it always is, either someone makes you do it or you just do it because you really want to learn how or you must learn how in order to make a dream come true.  You don't fit into those criteria as regards doing a van build so you will go for the make it do approach which in my opinion is the sane and sensible approach. Both of which seem to be something I struggle with when it comes to projects Smile

At the age of 70 this year I still put myself in the way of learning all kinds of new things when I have the inclination to learn them. Of course I can't do everything I would like to learn given I have a bad back and small budget Smile

This evening I will be running a laser cutter to make some kits I sell. I have customers for it but I had thought I was out of the cardstock that is no longer available. But when sorting some things out today I came across several packages of the right stuff. I designed the kits because I have access to a laser cutter so I wanted to see what I could do with it. There is even a chapel in this grouping. I should put myself in the way of learning more about doing 3D printing while I am still in Seattle at home base as there is a 3D printer here. Lots of fun stuff to do here. I am sometimes restless but never bored.
[attachment=25425]

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 03-24-2020

Very pretty set, Maki! Glad you found the cardstock you needed. Congrats on training yourself to do the build. Yes, I am making do for now. Love sleeping in my van but otherwise, maybe uninspired. So many other things to do that I feel overwhelmed with possible projects. I'm at the point where if I can do one small thing daily I feel like I'm building toward a better life.

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 03-26-2020

Another beautiful but cold morning in a Northern California river valley. Plans for today include making small steps for income tax preparation, and reading books.

RE: Good morning - crofter - 03-26-2020

70 degrees and sunny in southern AZ. Being retired means you don't have to have plans. I may meander into the realm of playing with drip irrigation on this site. 
   -crofter

RE: Good morning - B and C - 03-26-2020

This site has drip irrigation? Whoda thunk it? Smile Smile

RE: Good morning - crofter - 03-26-2020

(03-26-2020, 12:57 PM)B and C Wrote:  This site has drip irrigation?  Whoda thunk it? Smile Smile
Haha It's more of a local thing. I'm parked in a driveway at an RV resort. After July or so nobody wants to be standing outside doing the watering, so the drip drip will be piped in locally. I have not heard of any success with virtual drip irrigation -yet.  -crofter