VanDweller Community Forums
Good morning - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic and Chit-Chat (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Good morning (/showthread.php?tid=32006)

RE: Good morning - Qxxx - 06-08-2020

(06-08-2020, 06:14 PM)jacqueg Wrote:  It's waaaay better than NOT having a bucket!
If you re-read that line very slowly, you may get the low-point of the joke. (at least crifter was amused).

(06-08-2020, 06:30 PM)Sofisintown Wrote:  If you have holding tanks that you have to empty, 
Oh no, "holding tanks", that's worse than all the other solutions, except possibly first dumping into a blue boy, and toting that to the dump site at 2-MPH, and then doing yet a second dump of the same doo-doo. Two dumps for the price one. Eeeeewwww.

In regards the other matter, I am just bringing up the different issues involved with the different possibilities for the sake of the uninitiated around here. I've never mistaken Sofi for being uninitiated.

In regards the second other matter, I never said I "don't" use a bucket, but it's such a delicate matter I rarely talk about it personally. But just for you, Sofi ... I use a combination of kitty litter bucket, cat hole, and also camp where there's a toilet. And I never keep anything in the van for more than a day. This past winter I spent 4 weeks in the LTVA in Q, and in the summer I prefer camping in NF campgrounds, eg in CA, OR, MT, ID.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-08-2020

I have a 5.5 gallon portable/marine toilet. Meaning I can dump it out from a spout or empty it by means of a macerator pump. It in combination with a 5 gallon grey water tank allows me to qualify as self contained for LTVA BLM sites if I set it up with the macerator pump so I can empty it at an RV waste station via a garden hose fitting. My grey water tank also empties with a garden hose fitting via gravity.

But I also have an alternative composting toilet set up with urine diverting..

There will be times I might choose to use one versus the other. As I have a travel trailer and my tow vehicle is a Honda Element which works as camping car with good head room for sitting on the toilets. So that way I can have both and switch them around depending on which version works best for my camp site.

Of course this means I don't have to worry about which methods works best because the answer is both of them work depending on what I want to do under what circumstance. Also if I want to park my trailer and go into town or out on an day trip in the car I still have a personal toilet along.

RE: Good morning - B and C - 06-08-2020

Did the LTVA rules change? I though a 10 gallon black tank was required before you could be self containd and camp more than 500 feet from a toilet.

I believe you need a permanently installed holding tank of 10-gal or more to qualify at the LTVAs as self-contained. I'm not sure that half of that volume being in a portable toilet qualifies, but whatdoiknow. Rules, rules, rules. WTH. Somebody call HDR.

EDIT: you sure are fast, Brian, lol.

RE: Good morning - B and C - 06-08-2020

I ain't got much of anything else I can do but read the forum. I can't concentrate on anything as my train of thought always gets interrupted.

Since we're talking about shining lights now, for additional clarification, in the 2 1/2 months on the AZ winter trip, I was only without a nearby toilet on 14 nights, and those had convenient cathole places. Once you have the routes and the stops along the way figured out, it's not as bad as it looks at first light.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-09-2020

(06-08-2020, 08:44 PM)Qxxx Wrote:  I believe you need a permanently installed holding tank of 10-gal or more to qualify at the LTVAs as self-contained. I'm not sure that half of that volume being in a portable toilet qualifies, but whatdoiknow. Rules, rules, rules. WTH. Somebody call HDR.

EDIT: you sure are fast, Brian, lol.
They say minimum 10 gallon waste water tank.  Does not say it has to be a black water only tank. Most RVs I have seen have both a black and a grey water tank Smile

RE: Good morning - B and C - 06-09-2020

b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

RE: Good morning - Qxxx - 06-09-2020

That's the one bit my initial naive plan.