VanDweller Community Forums
Good morning - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic and Chit-Chat (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Good morning (/showthread.php?tid=32006)

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 10:58 AM)travelaround Wrote:  @Maki - are you doing okay with all the unrest in your city? Hope it is still far from your home and places you normally go to.
Thanks for asking.

No marches have happened in my neighborhood, it is close enough to downtown that they go there instead.  But not so close that protestors would want to walk to my neighborhood on a march.

Good morning, well it is afternoon now. Woke up to rain pounding on the roof but it has just now slacked off. I might still be able to get in a little work on the trailer today after the pavement in the parking space dries out.

But first I need to pack up a vintage Dremel tablesaw, getting it ready to ship off to Florida to someone who emailed asking if I had one for sale. That sale will add some money into my renovation fund. I have a few things to pick up at the grocery store today so I will take a tape measure along and see if I can find the perfect sized cardboard box in the pile of boxes they have near the checkout counter.

As to the protest in Seattle. Antifa is not taking over Seattle despite what POTIS posted on twitter.

This is just the mayor agreeing to let the peaceful protest take place in a focused area where the protestors wanted to do it. That is called negotiation and compromise. So now instead of trying to get through police barricades with much of downtown Seattle being disrupted the protestors have instead barricaded themselves inside of a single block surrounding one building, a police precinct headquarters, which the protestor leaders decided represents what they are protesting against. The building is their physical symbol of what is wrong. On the orders of the mayor that police precinct building was boarded up and the exterior sprayed with fire retardant. The staff was moved to other locations and the protestors were told they could surround the building as long as they stayed peaceful and did no significant property damage. So now that the protestors the place to gather that they wanted things have calmed down in the rest of the downtown area. Now the protestors are gathered in that spot doing speeches, teach-ins and media interviews and such.

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 06-11-2020

@Maki - sounds tame the way you describe it. Hope everyone stays safe.

Good day here - I pruned a rose bush and published a yard tour video on my Booktube channel.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-12-2020

Went to the hardware store today and bought a tarp so I can create a rain shelter along the side of the trailer. I need to get that brake wiring job finished.

I do have a big 12x12 popup canopy shelter but with the trailer up on blocks it won't quite fit underneath.

Made sure to buy a white tarp not too big, 8x10 so that it can be used later this summer if I need some extra shade as well as rain protection. Then I ordered some suction cup clamps so that I can position it on my car or my van as needed for quick and easy temporary setups.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-13-2020

This evening in a local TV news event the Mayor of Seattle, Jennie Durken was asked how long was the 6 block area in the neighborhood of Capitol Hill going to be allowed to be occupied by protestors?.

Her response.... "I don't know, we might have a summer of love".

RE: Good morning - bullfrog - 06-13-2020

I was in service during the “summer of love” and always felt like I missed out. Maybe I should go to this one but can’t afford to loose too many brain cells at this point! Would hate to have them knocked out of me like the 75 year old guy in New York.

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 06-13-2020

@Maki - your mayor's summer of love comment has been on national news.

Today....... errands: shopping, post office and transfer station. Now I'm home.. just had lunch and I'm going to spend some time reading.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 06-13-2020

The Seattle Mayor was also asked what she thought of the "autonomous zone". That is what the protestors have declared the 6 block area they are occupying in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle. Her response was that part of the city has been an automomous zone all of my life.

Which was pretty accurate as even when I first came to Seattle in 1969 it was Seattle's version of Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco. The large street graphic of Black Lives Matter being painted there goes right along with all the rainbow, gay pride, graphic crosswalks that the city has allowed to be painted and remain on the streets in that neighborhood. It is still a culturally diverse area in terms of race, gender choices as well as the arts. Lots of art colleges, art supply stores, book stores, cafes, a community college, etc in that area. The Black Lives Matter street graphic in Seattle is not just yellow letters like the one in DC, instead the shape of the letters are being filled in with mural type scenes.

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 06-13-2020

Sounds like a great arts community. I would have been attracted to a place like that when I was younger. Now I just like peace and quiet. The art I need is already in me.

It sounds like the residents there won't have a problem with the "autonomous zone" designation. How about the business owners? Have any of them had to close up because of this?