VanDweller Community Forums
UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... (/showthread.php?tid=32462)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - wasanah2 - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 10:56 AM)RogerD Wrote:  https://www.escapees.com

Available in FL, TX, and SD.

Thanks!  I'll pass that along to others.

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - lenny flank - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 10:35 AM)John61CT Wrote:  Florida is also the state I first heard about the court affidavit process to be domiciled there with no fixed address, the government assigns you the address to use for DMV.

This was originally designed for use by people who live on their boats (which is not all that uncommon in Florida). It also happens to be useful for RVers.

BUT......

The difficulty I ran into in Florida was not with the state ID--it was the insurance. The insurance companies have those addresses in a database, and won't write a policy unless you can produce a valid residential address. That was why I ultimately ended up using my sister's address in PA.

(At the time I did all this, Florida was not yet Real ID compliant, so I don't know if the "affidavit" thing still works for that as far as getting an ID.)

UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - John61CT - 08-16-2018

Yes I came across it on a boating forum, only a few weeks ago, and he uses it as his residential for dozens of insurance, gov, brolerages, banks, voting, jury duty etc no problems.

In conjunction with St Brendons Isle (sp?) fowarding service as his mailing address.

Swore up and down better than using friend / family, because he was being honest about having no fixed address.

It may now be an option for people in Florida. Though I did run into an insurance issue, and I don't know if "boats" are treated differently than "RVs" or "vans".

UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - Snowbirds on a Shoestring - 08-16-2018

Ok, I'm a forum newbie here, but a long time RVer and now on my 4th year as a full-time nomad boondocker. You may find this interesting:
(Yes, I'll get around to filling out my new-to-the-forum stuff later.)

I'm on my way to Quarzsite to pay my LTVA fee on September 15 with LaPosa LTVA on BLM land as my residency address. I was advised I could do it by two separate RVers, one who actually uses the LTVA as his residence address for his license, car registration and insurance. The other is an insurance agent licensed in 5 southwest states, who is also a full-time RVer, Joe Burkley (RockinB on YouTube). He told me, "No problem!" Then I'll just get a mail forwarder for the mailing address. I called Joe to verify that this is an honest way around the residency problem and I trust him. The receipt the LTVA gives me will prove residency from September 15 thru March 15 - the 7 months that is the Arizona stipulation for residency. (I got that info from the Arizona dmv website.) I plan on being there on or before the 15th of September so that my receipt will show I was actually there in time for the full seven months of residency. (I will still do my usual wandering, but LaPosa will be my home base.)

I believe I've given this matter due diligence as far as my own personal research. However, there is always gonna be the chance that I end up with the those clerks at the dmv who gives me a hard time! Lol!

Bob interviewed Joe Burkley a while ago about problems with residency for insurance. He verified on camera about the need for honesty about residence because any insurance company will look for reasons to cancel you or deny a claim.

I will let you know how it works out for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - wasanah2 - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 01:53 PM)John61CT Wrote:  Yes I came across it on a boating forum, only a few weeks ago, and he uses it as his residential for dozens of insurance, gov, brolerages, banks, voting, jury duty etc no problems.

In conjunction with St Brendons Isle (sp?) fowarding service as his mailing address.

Swore up and down better than using friend / family, because he was being honest about having no fixed address.

Uh oh.  https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/liveaboard-voting-rights-threatened-florida

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - John61CT - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 03:13 PM)lenny flank Wrote:  It may now be an option for people in Florida. Though I did run into an insurance issue, and I don't know if "boats" are treated differently than "RVs" or "vans".
AFAIK the reason you have no fixed address is irrelevant, likely no need to even mention it.

I imagine the same solution is available for homeless people who want to vote, pay taxes, get health insurance or childcare benefits etc.

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - John61CT - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 03:24 PM)wasanah2 Wrote:  https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/liveaboard-voting-rights-threatened-florida

Yes that was the context I learned about this possible solution.

That proposal was withdrawn.

I agree nomads should not be allowed to overwhelm local elections if not part of the community, but every citizen has the right to vote federally.

(08-16-2018, 04:14 PM)John61CT Wrote:  AFAIK the reason you have no fixed address is irrelevant, likely no need to even mention it.

One would indeed presume so.

RE: UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving... - Jack - 09-04-2018

This is a subject I'm having trouble wrapping my head around, probably because I've always had a residential address, not thinking about the benefits of it.  

Call me stupid, but what I still don't understand is this:  Why is a permanent residential address necessary?  We live in a time when bills are most commonly paid online and people have phones to be contacted with.  One of the reasons I struggle with understanding this is because, when it comes to snail mail, everything I get - E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. - is junk mail, most of which is addressed to Current Resident. (It took me years to achieve this!)  I check my mailbox once a month.  That's it.  I toss everything but the odd coupon now and then.  (I even toss all of those now that I'm saving for life on the road.)

Surely e-mail is the new snail mail in this green-obsessed society?  The government certainly rages on, and taxes on, about "being kind to the environment," (when THEY and Big Business, are the BIGGEST offenders of the environment by a million miles!  But, I digress...)  If we as a country can support innumerable lifestyle options for gender, then we can surely support other lifestyles, including nomads, most of whom are the greenest people in the country.

Part of the reason this concerns me is that I have no family whatsoever.  None since I was 18.  I've lived as a hermit for the last 20 years and the few friends I have now aren't good candidates for address usage anyway.  (Elderly, struggling, enough problems of their own, etc.,)  Not to mention that one of the benefits I get for choosing van life is getting to cut ties with my current state.  

I want to use South Dakota as a residential address, since I have to have one.  I actually like South Dakota!  (Other choices are MT, WY, and ID, but SD is cheapest.)  But look what happened to so many van lifers when My Dakota Address suddenly, without notice, shut down?!  There's a guy on YouTube that's been struggling to get his vehicle registration because it was in the mail at the time and no one can find it.  And his insurance company was about to drop him for using a mail forwarding service's address.  (He ended up dropping Geico and went with Progressive.)  

Not to mention the battle with states trying to throttle address requirements.  Then you have insurance companies and banks who won't do business with mail forwarding system addresses.  Not to mention that I don't know anyone in South Dakota who could let me use their address.

What an absolute headache!  I just want to live my life in freedom, minding my own business, and leave each place better than I found it.  But that's considered illegal.  Only in America.  Sorry for venting my frustrations.   Sad  I'm sure these rules are in place for good reasons that I just don't understand and things will work out.  I just don't appreciate feeling like I have to be sneaky to get around those rules.