VanDweller Community Forums
Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Heating and Air Conditioning (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? (/showthread.php?tid=33467)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Jim_Rockford - 11-07-2019

(11-05-2019, 07:04 AM)ckelly78z Wrote:  I wonder for the DIY fans, if you could run this diesel heater off of waste vegetable oil that has been filtered like many folks do with their diesel cars/trucks. There are also folks who run WMO (waste motor oil) through a centrifuge to eliminate the solids, and debris, and then dump into their fuel tanks at a 50/50 mix of fuel/WMO.

This would be a way of having a free, and never ending source of usable fuel to heat your shop, or RV.
 No do not run these heaters off anything but diesel , and maybe once in a while off a max of 50/50 kero /diesel . Straight kero has 0 lubrication properties and will ruin the pump in a short amount of time . The veggie oil will leave soot and deposits on the burn chamber and ignion screen. Waste engine oil same thing . This guy here does a good 16 part series on every single thing about these heaters. I highly suggest you watch them all and understand how these heaters work and just how cheap and easy they are to run before buying one and either installing it wrong or ruining it. 90%of problems with these heaters is wrong install or someone using the wrong fuel. 

https://youtu.be/tvwmU_CcmGI

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Jim_Rockford - 11-07-2019

(11-05-2019, 10:23 AM)1shemp Wrote:  Holy Smoke.Wouldn't that be like having a semi running in your rv?I hate the smell of diesel,burned or unburned.
You don't smell anything when the are running.  Definitely nothing inside. I just hooked mine up last night and even without venting the exhaust I got no smell at all, just the slightest oder from oil burning the exhast pipe.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Firebuild - 11-07-2019

(11-07-2019, 06:21 AM)Jim_Rockford Wrote:  You don't smell anything when the are running.  Definitely nothing inside. I just hooked mine up last night and even without venting the exhaust I got no smell at all, just the slightest oder from oil burning the exhast pipe.
1shemp Wrote: Wrote:Holy Smoke.Wouldn't that be like having a semi running in your rv?I hate the smell of diesel,burned or unburned.
I ran mine all last winter and just cranked it up for the first time this year about a month ago. I get a very slight smell for a minute at startup, then nothing.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Gypsy Freedom - 11-07-2019

are these controlled with a thermostat so you can "set it and forget it" of do you have to adjust the heat output manually like a buddy heater or something?

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - RogerD - 11-08-2019

(11-07-2019, 09:49 PM)Gypsy Freedom Wrote:  are these controlled with a thermostat so you can "set it and forget it" of do you have to adjust the heat output manually like a buddy heater or something?

I just ordered a 2kw heater to test. Won't have it till next week. I want to see if it is more cost-effective to run over a Camco Olympian Wave 3 heater.

The 2kw heaters on the lowest setting are like 3K BTU. The 5K heaters are like 5K BTU on the lowest setting.

They don't shut off. My understanding is that if it reaches the desired temp, it will then just run on the lowest setting.

I've seen some propane heaters on Amazon that say they are thermostatically controlled and supposedly turn on / off.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Gypsy Freedom - 11-08-2019

if it had a thermostat to reduce to the lowest setting there is no reason it could not just shut off. that does not make sense?

yes, there are a couple vented propane heaters out there that do have thermostatic control

the wave 3 is not even comparable to the parking heaters. one is vented and the other dumps the exhaust into the living space. even if they burn the same amount there is a huge difference with the moisture and condensation potential.

personally, i would never ever consider installing anything but a vented heater where the exhaust/combustion gases go direct to the outside

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - RogerD - 11-09-2019

The vented / not vented issue is irrelevant to me. I've had zero problems using the Wave 3, so I could care less about that. I'm just looking to see which costs the least to run.

The diesel heaters don't just simply turn on / off. They go through a start up and shut down process. So it's not built in to do it.

You can replace the mainboard / controller with one that will do it.

http://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/

There are some non-vented propane heaters that have the thermostatic control on Amazon.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Gypsy Freedom - 11-09-2019

almost all forced air furnaces go through a start up/shut down series of events. has nothing to do with the ability of operating on a thermostat.

thanks for the link

never said non vented heaters couldnt have thermostatic controls

as far as the wave 3 vs a parking heater. keep in mind the parking heater does require some electricity to run and you will need to have enough electricity to run the fans and such through the night. were i am pretty sure the wave 3 requires none. if that is also a non issue for you then heat out put perceived can only be determined for comfort level by each person. the radiant heat of the wave can help you feel the heat very quick, but the warm air in the room can tend to stratify and the ceiling may be considerably warmer than a normal bed level. the forced air style of the parking heater may make for more even temps through out the room. some people like one over the other

you wont know till you try even if the 2 heaters were identical in output

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - RogerD - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 02:45 AM)Gypsy Freedom Wrote:  almost all forced air furnaces go through a start up/shut down series of events. has nothing to do with the ability of operating on a thermostat.

OK, but I'm pretty sure that is why they don't turn on/off.

I just read that if you set to a specific temp and once reached, they then run on the lowest setting.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Gypsy Freedom - 11-09-2019

do you have a link to where you read that. i cant seam to find that info

thanks