VanDweller Community Forums
Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Heating and Air Conditioning (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? (/showthread.php?tid=33467)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - barleyguy - 03-28-2020

Random side note: Propex is currently closed by a UK health order, and their dealers are out of stock. So I can't buy a Propex right now.

EDIT: Actually, Van Cafe has them in stock. Not sure how many.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - B and C - 03-28-2020

No shore power, just 350Ah of battery, 400 watts of solar and a generator. TBH, I am not sure how much juice my suburban takes cycling at night. I set the thermostat about 55-60 at night and don't stay in cold (or hot) temps that much. I generally have about 70% battery remaining in the morning according to my Trimetric battery monitor. This is about a 20% reserve. I use a lot of electricity for other things too.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Suewu - 05-06-2020

Hello, Chinese parking heater is better than others in price and quality. https://www.acparts.cn/product-category/diesel-parking-heater/

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Pusher - 06-19-2020

(05-06-2020, 01:48 AM)Suewu Wrote:  Hello, Chinese parking heater is better than others in price and quality.  https://www.acparts.cn/product-category/diesel-parking-heater/
 The reasoning I heard for the heaters not turning off from this youtuber (excellent watch btw) and as referenced earlier, is that the glow plugs take 9 amps for 5 minutes to properly warm, ignite and maintain the heater in the on state until it runs without, then it maintains its on state at 2 amps (the fan I assume). If you cycle on and off then you will use more electricity rewarming the glow plug and not save much gas, plus the noise would be fluctuating. If it shut off completely then it would just be cycling back on and warming itself back up just to return the temperature level then shut off about the time it was efficient. By staying on at low, I suspect it is at its most efficient state.

To those who don't suggest running heaters at night, I'm curious if you are comfortable with what the RV's use at night? Aren't they running pressurized propane heaters? Seems just as sketchy as a remote diesel heater.

I'm still undecided on the diesel heaters. I saw an amazon buyer picture of a heavily smoking exhaust tube and it made me think for a second

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - B and C - 06-20-2020

I wouldn't run a non vented propane heater overnight. RV's come with a vented propane heater which means the combustion and exhaust is done with outside air. It warms a clamshell which transfers the heat to the interior where a fan circulates it. I have no qualms about running a vented propane heater all night if needed. The thermostat is greatly appreciated too.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Pusher - 06-20-2020

Isn't that what the chinese heaters are doing though?

Personally, I don't like the idea of a heat source withh a diesel tank over it, so I'm looking at the suit case model. If the unit went up in flames the air inlet would hopefully just melt and the entire unit would be found in the morning as a puddle of melted plastic and aluminum.

I read somewhere that diesel is preferred as it needs an open flame to ignite (versus propane and gasoline fumes). Is that true?

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - B and C - 06-20-2020

Yes it is.

I have put a cigarette butt out in gasoline before. Yes, gasoline and propane have a lower vapor point than diesel. Diesel will combust under big pressure or with a glow plug (or flame). Don't the diesel heaters have a glow plug that has to be heated by 12V before they will ignite or is there an always on pilot light?

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - Pusher - 06-20-2020

Yes, as I undersrand it, the diesel heaters use a glow plug ignition point. Based on this, it seems the vented diesel heaters would be safer than a propane or gasoline venter furnace. I suggest this since the propane is poisonous and pressurised into the heater body which is mounted on the van. The gasoline option, though not pressurized, is much more flammable and less odorous.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these cheaters in the suitcase model. 2kw seems to be the right size for a moderately insulated van, if you can find a vendor that will send you a true 2 heater and not just a 3,4 or 5 heater with reduced settings.

RE: Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters? - rokguy - 06-20-2020

I'm currently installing (5kw) one under the new cabin I'm  fitting out. I decided to install it in a homemade box under the insulated box truck body (read Pantec) section of this 2 room cabin. Just didn't like the idea of having the whole unit in the room when it didn't have to be.

Battery set up for this will be solely shared with the composting toilet fan, with their own dedicated solar panels.

Plenty of RV and caravan here have them installed as well as I've seen a few on yachts.

Looks like you're ready to rock and roll!

This may be a stupid question, but why don't these run on a closed circuit, looping the already heated air back through the heater again?