VanDweller Community Forums
What will you always have in your camp kitchen - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What will you always have in your camp kitchen (/showthread.php?tid=35439)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What will you always have in your camp kitchen - vanbrat - 02-25-2019

I keep trying to think what to pack as far as my kitchen goes.. I know what I eat is to my own taste etc.    but I am curious, what everyone does not ever go without? I know I won't be baking, and I know some of my everything but the kitchen sink stuff wont happen, but what should/would be a staple thing to never forget? The bar is already loaded. So that is taken care of.

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - MrNoodly - 02-25-2019

Are we talking cookware or food? Or both?

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - lenny flank - 02-25-2019

My trusty little DIY alcohol stove. Costs virtually nothing, no moving parts to lose or wear out, boils a pint of water in about 8 minutes.

Smile

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - AMGS3 - 02-25-2019

This advice doesn't really apply to me in my situation now, since I have practically a full kitchen now. Tiny, but full.

However, I used to camp a lot and one of the things I learned early is to ALWAYS bring an extra bottle, can, jug, etc of cooking fuel. Whatever your stove situation, however long you think you will be gone,  always have one more jug of fuel than you think you will need. This prevents any situation where you end up getting something half cooked and run out of gas. I cannot adequately express in words how much that sucks. One extra can does not take up that much room and prevents you from having to leave, possibly abandon camp, drive into town, or pay dearly at the nearest gas station (if they even carry the type of fuel your stove uses).

~angie

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - WanderingRose - 02-25-2019

Always have some MRE’s, nourishing food that can be consumed cold in an emergency.

I always have a few cans of substantial soups, also baked beans.

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - lenny flank - 02-25-2019

MREs tend to get a pretty bad rap, but the ones that I have had while backpacking were pretty good, I thought.

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - B and C - 02-25-2019

Coffee, matches and some canned goods with a knife or can opener (P-38 is a small one).   Tongue  Really kinda depends.  When I first started to prepare, it became what did I like to eat and then came how do I prepare it on the road.  If you're still in a S&B, cook what you will have on the road and pack those items.  It is not like you are going into a vast wilderness with no stores to get your basic needs met.  The smaller your space, the less you will be able to carry.  There is no magic bullet here.  If you don't have it and need it, you should be able to pick it up on the way.  Good luck.

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - cyndi - 02-25-2019

I keep organic, no-salt canned veggies, for when I can't or don't feel like going to town for fresh veggies. Green beans can be used to replace leafy greens in a salad. Canned spinach doesn't taste much different than fresh, cooked spinach.

I also keep some canned, organic, no salt added proteins, for the same reason.

A few years ago someone came up with microwaveable pasta and rice, ready in 60 to 90 seconds. It's now available in organic brands with BPA free packaging. It cooks on the stove top, in a couple of minutes, using 2 tablespoons of water.

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - vanbrat - 02-25-2019

Thanks everyone we will mostly have a tiny kitchen and some electric power, but also may do some boondocking without power....

RE: What will you always have in your camp kitchen - LoveCareThinkDo - 02-25-2019

I really like my all-silicone spatula / spoon-ish thing, similar to this thing at Walmart for about $4 each.

It is heat resistant, so I can just leave it in the pot when I am cooking. That means I don't have to lay it down somewhere and there is far less chance of dripping on what counts for a counter in my van. 

It also doesn't transfer heat well, so when I taste the food I'm cooking, I never have to worry about burning my lips on the spoon. And the handle doesn't get hot, even if it is sticking out over the side of the pot and the heat from the flame rises up past it. So, I never have to worry about burning my hand. (Though, naturally, I don't turn the flame up too high anyway.)

It wipes clean really easily. I just spritz it with water, and then wipe it with a paper towel. Then it is clean enough for me.

Here's another tip: I don't clean it right away. I lick it pretty clean, then set it across the can my soup came from. Later, when I am finished eating out of the pot, I use the spatula to scrape as much as possible out of the pot and scrape that into the soup can. Then I spritz the inside of the pot and scrape another layer out with the spatula. After doing this, I only need two halves of a paper towel to clean out the pot. Spritz the pot, wipe with the first half, getting nearly everything else out. Spritz again, wipe with the second half, getting everything that was left. Usually, there is so little on the second half that I can set it aside to dry and use it as the first half for the next meal. In this manner, I use only about two tablespoons of water and one-half of a paper towel per meal. 

Al this because of a cheap, silicone spatula.