VanDweller Community Forums
What are you having for dinner? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What are you having for dinner? (/showthread.php?tid=36246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

What are you having for dinner? - XERTYX - 04-23-2019

I've got a few choices. Macaroni and cheese, rice a roni (the san fransisco treat), garlic and olive oil vermicelli, bacon and eggs, chorizo and eggs, frozen chicken biryani and rice, or chicken salad.

I think I'll go ahead and make the chicken salad and put it in the fridge to just get yummier overnight and have that for lunch tomorrow. I could use some meat in my life as I've been eating very little protein lately. I did have some large curd cottage cheese for dinner last night, but that's not meat. If I had some tortillas I think I'd make huevos rancheros and chorizo with refried beans. 

I think 3 eggs and about 1/3 pack of bacon. That's what I'll do.

So how about you? What's for dinner in your camp? Are you having a big meal? Eating lite? Reusing leftover meatloaf to make sloppy joes?

Nothing serious. Just for funzies and ideas for others. Smile

RE: What are you having for dinner? - Seminole Wind - 04-23-2019

i have a six pack of OG chicken legs thawed out. i will probably get lazy and just cook them in a pan with butter. i'll work on those caveman style tonight, the left overs for breakfast then make chicken soup with the bones for lunch tomorrow

RE: What are you having for dinner? - XERTYX - 04-23-2019

Sounds great. Do you ever use fire to cook with? Or another fuel method? 

Anyone on the east coast that likes fried chicken can try the hot and ready type deli chicken from kroger. There is a recent recipe change I'm told. 

I've never had great success in cooking chicken.

yes, i always use fire, just tonight there will be a pan inbetween...;-) but i also carry a propane grill, i have a propane oven that i often bake the chicken in. and i have been know to tossa grill on an open fire to grill it that way. but today i am lazy, a stick of butter a pinch of salt along with the legs in the castiron pan on low/medium and walk away for a bit.

i have also taken chicken cooked like this, stripped the meat off and made sandwiches or tacos or even just tossed it into mac and cheese. the 6 packs of OG chicken legs are nice sources of protien and fat. might switch up to thighs but they are bit more pricey

That's grand. I prefer food cooked over a wood fire. I'm working on a dual chamber smoker/grill/plancha pieced together from scavenged bricks. Boneless skinless thighs although expensive are the finest cut on the yardbird IMHO.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - abnorm - 04-23-2019

Chicken thighs...….. it's what's for dinner 

[attachment=23136]

(04-23-2019, 06:15 PM)XERTYX Wrote:  That's grand. I prefer food cooked over a wood fire. I'm working on a dual chamber smoker/grill/plancha pieced together from scavenged bricks. Boneless skinless thighs although expensive are the finest cut on the yardbird IMHO.

chicken thighs are the bomb, but i gotta have me skins. i could eat a whole bowl full of baked chicken skin...

Like my sister. I could take or leave the skins myself.

@abnorm.  Looks good.

is she single?

on second thought, never mind, i want the skins for my self...

RE: What are you having for dinner? - highdesertranger - 04-23-2019

x2 on Doug's chicken, I can give a first hand review, it's finger licken good, 2 thumbs up. highdesertranger