VanDweller Community Forums
What are you having for dinner? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What are you having for dinner? (/showthread.php?tid=36246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What are you having for dinner? - Dingfelder - 05-09-2019

Invited over to my mother's house. Chicken stir-fry with plenty of veggies, plus rice. Skipped the rice. Been experimenting with 18/6 fasting to lose weight, low carb, even working toward keto, so I passed on the rice. Good stir-fry otherwise.

Gotta get my sprouts going again now that it's spring.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - RoamerRV428 - 05-09-2019

tonight is monster rack of ribs. That's it. I will eat a ton of them and enjoy every darn one of them Smile

RE: What are you having for dinner? - XERTYX - 05-10-2019

Yesterday I conducted an experiment. When my iron is low I crave iron rich food stuffs. (Never got the concept of craving ice chips when anaemic. But I'm no scientist)

So I had some hor douerves. Sorry yall. I ain't googling the spelling this time. I'll go Fred G. Sanford on yall if I have to and call them horse divers.

Canned smoked oysters on crackers. With garlic powder, chipotle Tabasco sauce, and sriracha sauce.

I read on the label these smaller cans had significantly lower levels of iron as the ones I'd bought previously. I didnt remember the proportions but knew it was at MOST half the size. The nutritional content showed like 1/32 of the amount of iron as my usual brand per serving. The servings seemed to be consistent with a normal serving. Then I noticed something. The new smaller package was rated in X amounts of servings. The other brand was rated in the total weight of the container. That includes the oil. The other was only the meat being tested. The oil was waste. Iron is a fat soluble vitamin. I.E. throw out the oil throw out the nutrition. So I stirred the oyster oil into a can of remarkably non greasy chili. Stirred it in and made chilitos. (If you've never had a chilito I weep for your loss. Chili cheese Burrito)

There was a slightly noticeable oyster saucey type flavor but otherwise negligible. I seem to be suffering from inadequacies in obtaining fats and cholesterol from my diet lately. How viable is it to include cottonseed oil etc oil to your diet? How frequently?

Discuss.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - Dingfelder - 05-11-2019

Strongly discourage against cottonseed oil. This is certainly in the running and may be the worst oil of all. Cotton is not a human-consumable product. Therefore, farmers feel free to use extremely toxic chemicals against it.

In a way they would never consider, the long-term cosequences weren't optimistic.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - eDJ_ - 05-11-2019

Recently I had this for dinner.  I didn't much care for it but a female friend of mine saw it in a Woman's World or First for women magazine and was so charmed with it she said she would buy the ingredients if I'd make it.

Salmon, Gnocchi, (potato dumplings) Alfredo sauce, sliced cucumber, pesto, and fresh dill. 

The fish if pan fried well and separated from the skin and then cut into cubes. 

The Gnocchi is boiled until it floats to the surface.

The Cuke cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.

The Alfredo heated in a large skillet and thinned some with the water the Gnocchi was boiled in. 

The Cukes and fish are added to this and cooked until the Cukes are soft.

Garlic Salt and pepper are the seasonings called for.

When plated Pesto is dotted over the top and fresh dill is held above and snipped with scissors to cover lightly.

She liked it but was disappointed that I wasn't so taken with it.   But I think women seem to like trendy stuff that some Celebrity Chef dreamed up.  

Now,

If I were to make this again.........for myself........I'd leave the Cukes out,  the Pesto in the fridge, and slice a white onion into rings.

I'd proceed with the Alfredo, fish, and Gnocchi and sprinkle it with Old Bay or something.

I'd put the Cukes & Onions in a bowl and add vinegar & water, garlic, some sugar,  and snip the fresh dill over that to make a Cuke & Onion salad. 

These would be served beside each other.

Yes,  I know it's all going to wind up in the same place.  But to me, how it gets there makes all the difference in what we call dinner.  Rolleyes

RE: What are you having for dinner? - XERTYX - 05-11-2019

(05-11-2019, 04:31 AM)eDJ_ Wrote:  Yes,  I know it's all going to wind up in the same place.  But to me, how it gets there makes all the difference in what we call dinner.  Rolleyes

Absolutely. I dont like fish but I can see where that might be a little off putting. If it didnt matter how we served it we could just put a burger, fries, and chocolate shake in a blender and drink it. Might be good that way but I wouldnt try it.

Went to golden corral right at the end of breakfast so had a big breakfast and a big lunch all for one price. So dinner tonight will probably be nothing. Or maybe a light snack.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - JD GUMBEE - 05-12-2019

Golden Corral...the best 14 dollar night of steak eating you can get in the USA.

Smile

(Don't forget to save the gristle and fat chunks for the doggies back home.)

They want it all.

(...and they KNOW by your scent what you were up to.)

RE: What are you having for dinner? - XERTYX - 05-12-2019

Wow if golden corral here let you take a doggy bag home I'd shut em down. My favorite thing from there IS the steak and the meat in the pot roast. Also the bourbon chicken. Then for dessert a salad with iceberg lettuce, black olives, red onions, mushrooms, and full fat ranch.

I dont much care for the sweets.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - Dingfelder - 05-12-2019

Went to mother's house today and made her a spiralizer salad. Carrot and zucchini "noodles" mixed in with rice noodles, cilantro, green onions, peppermint, and an Asian-spiced viniagrette I threw together. Topped with super-thin slices of a pork tenderloin I baked, thin enough to just fold into your mouth. She's not a big eater but she had thirds of the noodles, which must be a good sign. I'd left the "noodles" and veggie mixture to marinate for half an hour in the dressing, in the fridge, before serving.

The spiralizer was pretty fun to use, but not the easiest thing to do. The finished product , all mixed together, looked great, though, and I would not have gone to the trouble to do it by hand, so it was worth doing that way.

RE: What are you having for dinner? - RoamerRV428 - 05-13-2019

heck yea on hitting Golden Corral on changeover from breakfast to lunch buffet is fab!!
I eat a ton of bacon! Along with any other meats. I am extreme low carb person so the bacon and eggs etc I hit is a side dish to my other meats I eat along with the 'fake but absolutely delish' crab salad they have on the salad bar. It ain't the best thing I could ever eat for health but the taste, omgosh I love the fake whatever is in that stuff! Smile Smile hey we all got our junk food we have to consume LOL

tonight is big old pork loin on the grill with a side of garlic butter shrimp.