VanDweller Community Forums
Canadian coins - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic and Chit-Chat (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Canadian coins (/showthread.php?tid=36932)

Pages: 1 2

Canadian coins - slow2day - 06-12-2019

After spending quite a bit of time driving thru Canada, I really appreciate their use of $1 and $2 coins. 

Yesterday in Fairbanks I had to put 16 quarters in a washing machine.

Doing laundry in Cochrane, Alberta only required two 'loonies' and a quarter (that's about $3.20 USD).

RE: Canadian coins - highdesertranger - 06-12-2019

dang 4 bucks a load, I hope you got a free dry with that. where's my bucket. highdesertranger

RE: Canadian coins - B and C - 06-12-2019

Turn as many coins back into paper as you can before returning to the states for an exchange. They won't take coins for exchange (at least my bank wouldn't). I liked the loonies and toonies (isn't that a cartoon maker?).

RE: Canadian coins - MrNoodly - 06-12-2019

When I lived in Canada in the early '70s, as a rather ignorant 19 year old, I thought it was funny their paper currency was different colors for each denomination. I thought it looked like Monopoly money. But I quickly learned the benefit of it.

RE: Canadian coins - slow2day - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 06:10 PM)highdesertranger Wrote:  dang 4 bucks a load,  I hope you got a free dry with that.  where's my bucket.  highdesertranger

Nope, the dry was another buck fifty.  It was supposed to be a double-load washer but didn't seem that big.

I have a 1/16" cable stretched across my van right behind the seats with a privacy curtain hung on it.  It comes in handy as a clothesline to hang things that ain't all the way dry.

(06-12-2019, 06:20 PM)B and C Wrote:  Turn as many coins back into paper as you can before returning to the states for an exchange.  They won't take coins for exchange (at least my bank wouldn't).  I liked the loonies and toonies (isn't that a cartoon maker?).

Good tip but on the way back I'll probably just spend all the CAD that I'll have stocking up on food.

When I first did laundry in Alberta, I had to ask what a loonie was.

(06-12-2019, 06:51 PM)MrNoodly Wrote:  When I lived in Canada in the early '70s, as a rather ignorant 19 year old, I thought it was funny their paper currency was different colors for each denomination. I thought it looked like Monopoly money. But I quickly learned the benefit of it.

Was it plastic money back then?  The bills now are made of plastic. Kinda weird but seem a lot more durable than paper money.

RE: Canadian coins - MrNoodly - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 09:23 PM)slow2day Wrote:  Was it plastic money back then?  The bills now are made of plastic. Kinda weird but seem a lot more durable than paper money.

Paper back then.

RE: Canadian coins - maki2 - 06-13-2019

The duty free shops at the border are a good place to spend the last of the coins even if it is just on treats like candy, jerky, etc.

RE: Canadian coins - wayne49 - 06-13-2019

"toonies" could have been called "doubloonies"