VanDweller Community Forums
Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands (/showthread.php?tid=37378)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - RoamerRV428 - 07-21-2019

do what I would do, get right in his face and say the next time you buy some darn useless gadget I will be shoving up your …………. hee hee…...my hubby is a buyer. I finally over the years shut down most useless spending with him thru being on his butt about it Smile because I am a super minimalist type and honestly it drove me batty to have junk surrounding me. I can't stand useless junk just sitting in my space, clogging up my cabinets Smile he has finally gotten the point and he buys less now, but not when it comes to his fishing gear etc tho LOL

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - eDJ_ - 07-30-2019

Perhaps you could take him yard saleing ?   Then he could buy this same stuff at a much reduced price and add the value of getting things for cheap.  

When I worked in Industrial Design & Packaging I saw so many "contrived" products that were made for the Christmas Gift Giving Season.  Many of these "gizmo's" would never be taken out of the box and used and were destined for the first yard sales in April.  Essentially....manufactured junk with no clear problem solving function to serve he owner. (except to take up valuable cabinet space and collect dust there)   Much of this kind of stuff is manufactured offshore and only serves to ramp up the profitability of the company marketing it. 

When I studied ID at Design School some of the students got summer jobs working for Municipal Trash Collection.  It wasn't for the money.....but to  see what people threw away and to observe how new it was.

Today I still enjoy walking thru what Walmart calls it's "Action Alley's" around Thanksgiving to see the new gift giving junk.   Then by March & April....hit the yard sales/flea markets to see how many of those items are on display there.

In fairness,  yes the stuff will work but it's like reinventing the wheel and giving it yet another new look.  As a product on a shelf the magic is gift giving season sales.   If at other times it may take polished Pitch Men  & Women relying on their fake Euro accents.

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - jeanmarie - 07-30-2019

Years ago, we started giving gift certificates for restaurants, movies, ice cream shops, video rentals, fancy gourmet grocery stores, ice rinks, etc. Few people need more junk in their lives, but everyone can use a nice outing or some gourmet treats.

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - ZoNiE - 07-30-2019

Just don't let him see the Suvi...

https://www.suvie.com/

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - VanFan - 07-30-2019

(07-20-2019, 02:49 PM)maki2 Wrote:   jokes aside understanding the causes of behavior leads to ways to channel the behavior away from things such as excessive shopping.
Nailed it here!  Great post!

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - RoadtripsAndCampfires - 08-10-2019

Perhaps go to your credit card recipts and give him a total for the last several months. Tell him if he stops watching the channel for those same # of months he can have the equivalent in cash to buy what he wants provided it isn't from the internet.

If you are going to eventually van or RV life you'll have to get rid of a lot of it most likely. And those K cups are EXPENSIVE.

I once did a lot of ordering from TV. It's easy to get hooked in. That was years ago. Once the RV life started becoming real and near downsizing became new hobby.

Christine

RE: Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - GypsyJan - 08-14-2019

"Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands" ...sounds kinky to me!

Need Advice on How to Duct Tape DH's Hands - Cammalu - 08-15-2019

I do get that... I’m a fabricaholic.. my fabric stash for sewing is stupid...