VanDweller Community Forums
I know zilch zip zero about cars! - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Choosing The Right Vehicle (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Car (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I know zilch zip zero about cars! (/showthread.php?tid=37695)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - jeanmarie - 08-19-2019

If you know nothing about vehicles, then you must understand that living in a vehicle will cost you more than people who are mechanically savvy. You vehicle is not only your transportation, but your home. When it breaks, you are literally homeless until it is fixed.  So, there are some courses out there and you should take them. Get the newest vehicle you can get and make sure there is a warranty. Read your vehicle manual from cover to cover, religiously, like it was your Bible, so you find out how to take care of it. Practice basic tasks on your own from videos or pay mechanics to let you watch and help.

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - CityWoman - 08-19-2019

(08-19-2019, 08:57 AM)jeanmarie Wrote:  . . . make sure there is a warranty.

I don't think I can afford a vehicle that is new enough to still be under warranty.

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - highdesertranger - 08-19-2019

you can buy aftermarket warranties. highdesertranger

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - popcorn2007 - 08-20-2019

Whats your budget?
Are you planning on getting out of nyc after you get your vehicle?

If your on your last leg, you can move out here. I know of 2 jobs that you can get that each will get you on your feet if you stick around long enough. If you planning on traveling, i'd get a cargo van and a cargo trailer. If your planning on staying in nyc, get a toyota mini van. A cargo trailer would be so helpful and a mini van will be strugling to pull it.

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - CityWoman - 08-20-2019

Hi popcorn,
I love popcorn btw.  I make it all the time!  Thanks for your response.

(08-20-2019, 05:37 PM)popcorn2007 Wrote:  Whats your budget?

Still trying to figure that out, but let's just say "not much" for now.

(08-20-2019, 05:37 PM)popcorn2007 Wrote:  Are you planning on getting out of nyc after you get your vehicle?

Not right away. The thread I linked to in my 1st post gives a little more detail on that.

(08-20-2019, 05:37 PM)popcorn2007 Wrote:  . . . you can move out here.

Where is "here?"

(08-20-2019, 05:37 PM)popcorn2007 Wrote:  I know of 2 jobs that you can get that each will get you on your feet if you stick around long enough.

I'm dealing with some health issues and have a very small microbusiness I'm trying to get off the ground (building up from a totally depleted financial situation).  While handling those things, NYC really has the best opportunities for me to make money with contract/freelance work at the moment.  However, I can no longer keep my apartment - hence, needing a car to sleep in while keeping some of my crap in storage.  But I don't want to stay here forever; I do want to get some traveling done, after tying up the loose ends here.

(08-20-2019, 05:37 PM)popcorn2007 Wrote:  If you planning on traveling, i'd get a cargo van and a cargo trailer.

No way do I see myself driving a big van and towing a trailer.  I mentioned upthread that the last time I drove a van turned out to be a nightmare.  I'm not a confident driver, and very out of practice right now.  I'm going to take refresher lessons and look for an SUV or minivan that I would feel comfortable driving.

--------------
My plans might get shuffled around a bit.  I may be able to stay with a relative in a part of the country where I can find rust-free cars.  And then I'd drive back to NYC to deal with the stuff I'll be storing (don't want to pay for a storage unit for too long).  Not sure yet, still figuring it out.

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - popcorn2007 - 08-22-2019

popcorn is a movie that came out in 2007 - i'm a fan of the movie!
I'm from kansas city mo - it's no where near as busy as nyc - Job i know about are some cleaning jobs that would make you enough money to get you on your feet. Are you able to work? How much is your biz bringing in?
You still have not said how much you want to spend on your car-suv - i assume its under $5k
If your going to stay in the city, a cargo van would be a nightmare driving around. On the open road, you would want a van and a cargo trailer would also be helpful with your extra clutter you might need.
Do you have family you can stay with that could help you sell off your clutter? I assume you could use their garage to have a garage sale. And again, can you also work a 2nd job to get extra money?

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - CityWoman - 08-25-2019

Hey everybody,

I have another question.

I am thinking of going to another state in order to buy a car - a state that is 
known for having good deals on rust-free used cars. However, I don't really know anyone who lives in that state (or lost touch with people I knew) and am not knowledgeable about its cities and towns nor getting around. If you wanted to do something like this, how would you figure out which city/town to visit, and how would you go about finding a good mechanic to check out any of the vehicles that interest you?

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - highdesertranger - 08-25-2019

first off I would ask here and see if anybody is in that state or has any knowledge of that state. highdesertranger

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - maki2 - 08-25-2019

One of the first things to do is find a state that has lower values on the vehicles. Strangely enough some areas of the country have much higher values on certain classes of cars than other states. Trucks might be higher priced in one region, vans might be, SUVs might be but in other regions that could be considerably lower in price.

In general terms though for rust free you stay away from the coastal areas and away from the states that have freezing cold winters. Then look for cities and states that use salt free deicing solutions on the roads for those times they do need to put out deicer.

That will narrow down the regions to search in. But remember people do move so you need to know a vehicles history of where it was purchased and used. Sometimes the buyer can provide that for you. Sometimes such things can be seen from Vin type records.

If you want to save money and get a good vehicle you will need to put in research time. There are some online data base websites that have such information but be aware that some of those are deliberatly slanted to linking you up with used car and new car dealers rather than being a true public service.

RE: I know zilch zip zero about cars! - CityWoman - 08-25-2019

Maki, I know which state I want to go to already - I guess I wasn't clear about that. Research is kinda my thing, almost a hobby, and so I've been researching this every day while coming up with new ideas. Now I am thinking this is the best way to do it.

So, what I'm looking for from everybody is ideas and inspiration on how to suss out particular towns/cities to visit for car-buying and mostly how to find a mechanic in a state where I know no one. Just some ideas on what to look for, etc., I'll research the rest. When I'm ready, I'll ask for more specific recommendations.

So, has anyone ever traveled to an unknown place to buy a vehicle? Remember, I've never bought a car before. Insights from your experience welcome!