VanDweller Community Forums
how to keep prius warm? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Insulation (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: how to keep prius warm? (/showthread.php?tid=38582)

Pages: 1 2 3

how to keep prius warm? - gabakusa - 10-24-2019

I got a 2013 prius and I have an inverter 2000watts, I know I can leave the car running all new to produce heat but it will use 1 gallon of gas, I heard.
I am was thinking what about some small electric heater that can work with 12v?
or some electric sleeping bag? to keep warm the rear of the prius ?

RE: how to keep prius warm? - maki2 - 10-24-2019

it all depends on how cold it is and how warm you want the interior to be.  You have not given any real world temperatures so could anyone judge what heating source you will need and how powerful it has to be?

RE: how to keep prius warm? - gabakusa - 10-24-2019

(10-24-2019, 09:31 PM)here in ohio thing get frozen and snows and it can get as low as  0 F and if I can keep it 75F it will be ok Wrote:  it all depends on how cold it is and how warm you want the interior to be.  You have not given any real world temperatures so could anyone judge what heating source you will need and how powerful it has to be?

RE: how to keep prius warm? - maki2 - 10-24-2019

That does not sound like a realistic scenario. But I am no Prius expert although I have seen some figures of the cost of replacing the batteries in one. That is very expensive to do. Are you sure you want to put your car at that kind of risk? Do you have no other alternatives?

RE: how to keep prius warm? - gabakusa - 10-25-2019

what risk will the car is going to have?prius uses two batteries one to start the car and the other to run, the one I am using is the regular battery

RE: how to keep prius warm? - maki2 - 10-25-2019

there is some chit chat from people who own a Prius on the Arizona wind and sun forum.

You might want to talk to them as they have experience using it as a generator to power different items.
https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/11546/using-a-prius-as-a-generator

RE: how to keep prius warm? - highdesertranger - 10-25-2019

why not just get a good sleeping bag and not worry about artificial heat? that is always my recommendation because any artificial heat system can fail and a sleeping bag will keep you warm no matter what. highdesertranger

RE: how to keep prius warm? - bullfrog - 10-25-2019

If I remember correctly the small battery has a fused charging link from the big battery so that is a concern but I believe there are some that have done what you want to do successfully. The engine will still come on to charge the big battery but not as often. I saw the discussion while researching using the Prius as a power source for an RV. There is a way to use the big battery directly if you need more than 3000 watts.

RE: how to keep prius warm? - gabakusa - 10-25-2019

I was thinking in a small 12v hair dryer too keep things worm or even an incandescent lightbulb would do the work

RE: how to keep prius warm? - maki2 - 10-25-2019

A small hair dryer and light bulb won't keep a Prius at 75 degrees in 0 degrees weather in a space that has very little insulation and lots of single pane glass. You had better plan on getting a sleeping bag rated for -20. The big advantage of the vehicle is you won't be dealing with the wind right on you. But you will likely be waking up to the inside of the windows covered in ice because of the moisture in your breath condensing on the windows and then freezing right away. 

I can tell that perhaps you have never gone camping in very cold weather or lived in a dwelling space that did not have adequate insulation and/or an inadequate heat source.  I have done both, I used to live in Alaska and that first fall I lived for a few months in a travel trailer. Even the gas in the fluorescent light bulbs froze. It was not a sustainable situation even with a down sleeping bag with two people sharing body warmth. We would never have survived any of the winter months when it would have reached 0 degrees or lower.