VanDweller Community Forums
not chasing 70, now where? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Heating and Air Conditioning (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: not chasing 70, now where? (/showthread.php?tid=38635)

Pages: 1 2

not chasing 70, now where? - notsosure - 10-28-2019

What if your a winter lover?  The great Northwoods! Does running a 12V blanket in a running auto wear your battery out faster?  It is more important to start the vehicle, than to be warm.  Any skiiers out there doing this?

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - ckelly78z - 10-28-2019

The great Northwoods will kill you quickly if something goes wrong, and sleeping in a running car is wrong !

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - maki2 - 10-28-2019

Just head to the forums for hunters, ice fishers and skiers. They can tell you exactly what to do for winter camping.

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - bullfrog - 10-28-2019

Running a vehicle wears out everything faster in my opinion in fact this whole post is only my opinion. Forget using the vehicle's charging system. You are better off making sure you can survive the coldest night with the windows open in a quality sleeping bag rated well below the temps your are going to be in. Electricity is a poor way to heat space unless you can plug into the grid or have a Prius. Vented propane like the NuWay stoves or wood, if you have room work well. Condensation will become a bigger problem than the cold with unvented propane heat sources and the fact you will probably have wet clothing drying in your living space will make it even worse. All this depends on how you handle the cold and how you handle risk, a few have lived through Alaskan winters with plenty of ventilation and unvented propane heat but malfunctions will cost you brain cells is not your life. Remember falling snow and ice can and do cover vents. If your a winter lover get a seasonal job at a ski slope and split an apartment with several other winter lovers!

not chasing 70, now where? - AMGS3 - 10-28-2019

There are plenty of sub-zero sleeping bags available that work well. I have one in my icehouse just in case something goes wrong with my furnace. And extra wool blankets. I tend to keep the thermostat set between 60-65°F (around 17°C) anyway, so thermal PJs are necessary in the winter. If my heater went out I'd be fine.

It makes a lot of sense to me to have the gear available for a worst case scenario than to rely on running your vehicle and possibly killing yourself with carbon monoxide. I've winter camped many times, it's quite comfy in the right bag.

I can't comment on the electric blanket, as I've never used one. With the right bag you wouldn't need it though. I have used a hot water bottle by my feet, though. Set up correctly ( wrapped in a wool sweater) it's still just a bit warm in the morning, and my feet stay nice and toasty all night.

I couldn't sleep in a running car. I'd be to worried about gassing myself out in my sleep.

Best of luck,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - Stargazer - 10-28-2019

Never used the car charger for anything but my phone. As for wearing things out faster and what others have written, that I don't know.

My first thought is will the electric blanket draw more than the car charger wiring can handle and burn up your electrical system? Something you may want to research before plugging in.

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - notsosure - 10-28-2019

oops I didn't clarify...I meant while driving and plugging in a blanket. I compiled a lot of winter questions. Thanks for the tips.

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - BuckleBrown - 10-28-2019

Hotwater bottles for the win!
For a couple hundred years it has been invaluable to keep folks snug. Having 2 of them could be the way to go. As it  jsut started snowing and with a windchill of 15 tomorrow, all I can think of is how to get 80-90f.

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - AMGS3 - 10-28-2019

(10-28-2019, 08:06 PM)notsosure Wrote:  oops I didn't clarify...I meant while driving and plugging in a blanket. I compiled a lot of winter questions. Thanks for the tips.
Hi Notsosure-

Ok, so I'm so confused about your question. What did you mean to ask originally? Maybe I just don't understand why you would need a heated blanket while driving? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding all of this. Please repost. Thankyou.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

RE: not chasing 70, now where? - Stargazer - 10-28-2019

Doesn't matter driving or not. If the blanket power draw is higher than the wire rating, the wire may overheat and worst case start a fire. Basic electrical fact.