VanDweller Community Forums
Postmates For Living On The Road? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Money Matters: Jobs, Banking, Budgeting (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Postmates For Living On The Road? (/showthread.php?tid=38820)

Pages: 1 2

Postmates For Living On The Road? - FloridaNomad - 11-10-2019

Has anyone tried postmates? I have been hanging out in Florida only so far, but if I roll into a city that has postmates I just turn on the app and I can start taking orders. Door dash, waitr, bitesquad et al do not allow that You have to set a city and a schedule.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - speedhighway46 - 11-10-2019

Based upon your posting, I’m not sure what you are talking about. Could you maybe provide a clearer description of the point of your post. Thanks.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - maki2 - 11-10-2019

its an app. some what along the lines of door dash. You pick up door to door delivery orders. It will rack up the mileage on your vehicle. It is easier if you live in a particular place that if you are always in a strange city. But of course there are apps for driving directions.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - slow2day - 11-10-2019

What type of vehicle are you living in? If you're in a full-size van I'd think that fuel would be a huge hit on any profits you might make.

Also, do these apps have insurance programs like Uber or Lyft that protect you while you're working for them? If not, collecting on a claim with your insurance might be tough. Or your premiums might be pretty high since you'd be 'commercial'.

As with Uber and Lyft I'm sure there are forums that cover the delivery apps, so you might ask questions there about moving from state to state.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - FloridaNomad - 11-11-2019

(11-10-2019, 03:08 PM)FloridaNomad Wrote:  Has anyone tried postmates? I have been hanging out in Florida only so far, but if I roll into a city that has postmates I just turn on the app and I can start taking orders. Door dash, waitr, bitesquad et al do not allow that You have to set a city and a schedule.
Just throwing a money making idea out there in case others need to make money while on the road. I do drive an E150 with a 300 Straight 6 and an AOD transmission. USAA offers "ride share gap" insurance that is pretty cheap. I pay just over $50/month total. As for gas, I make more than I spend and for mileage; if I were worried about that I wouldn't be travelling so much. It isn't for everybody, but it is "easy" money compared to some other stuff I have done.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - crofter - 11-11-2019

How do you get paid for that. Is it a tip or paid online, or some other way? How large and how heavy are the packages? The mileage I drove for the forest service was not a money maker, break even at best.   -crofter

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - travelaround - 11-12-2019

My daughter drives for Door Dash and says it will work for nomadic life. Makes good money. Has Skoolie, Jeep, and Ford Taurus.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - VanLifeCrisis - 12-16-2019

I want to recommend a great youtube channel if you are interested in gig jobs like postmates/door dash etc. The guy actually tries them all out and lays out what it cost/paid him to do it.

Here is the link for Postmates (i think it was Halloween so hes dressed funny in hopes of getting tips):

https://youtu.be/BTmZ-GPuFQI

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - maki2 - 12-17-2019

I suspect the drivers are thrilled when they get cash for a tip.

RE: Postmates For Living On The Road? - VanLifeCrisis - 12-17-2019

Who wouldn't be? ?

I met a friend at the rtr a couple years ago who does ubereats and grubhub and makes a living doing it. I think ubereats pays less. But he does mostly new york/jersey area and has a fuel sipper. The take away is you can do multiple ones at once so you have a steady stream of jobs.

I think the approval process is more involved, but instacart appears to be one of the more profitable ones the guy above tried (groceries), tho id assume they all depend on the area.