VanDweller Community Forums
traveling for food - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: traveling for food (/showthread.php?tid=39855)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: traveling for food - slow2day - 06-11-2020

I wonder if Oprah eats Okra?

RE: traveling for food - XERTYX - 06-11-2020

Sweet grits recipes. Sigh. I think the light inside of me died just a little at the thought of that. I can prescribe a recipe to ruin a great many things. Dry rub ribs with sand garnish, mashed potatoes and tree bark, flame broiled vodka, the list goes on. Tongue

Grits are one of the few absolutes for me as far as molecular gastronomy goes. There are a total of 3 acceptable flavorings to add. But sugar isnt one of them. I'd only try honey in grits because I think yellow grits would play well with it and honey is all natural. Mother nature always gets a +1 in my book. So I'd try it. But no guarantees.

As far as Oprah eating Okra I'd imagine she would try it. Say what you want but I have a feeling that she is a very broad minded person, as I try to be.

I try eating fish at least once a year myself. In an attempt to find out that my taste buds have changed over the years, or that I might like a new recipe or species of fish. (I got so much shit as a kid for not liking fish. Especially as all my brothers and I were very outdoorsy) I want to like fish but i just dont. I tried lobster once. Never again. I should say I tried lobster like 5 different ways once. I wish I could enjoy it like others obviously do. But I dont.

In the interest of traveling for food, a friend of mine from Kenya and I used to share a lunch break. Frequently he had something he ate with his greens. I thought it might be cassava (yucca root) and I asked him one day. It looked like a boiled potato on his plate.

It was Ugali (ooh golly) he said. Corn meal and water.

I made it according to his directions. If I recall it was 1 part water 1 part cornmeal. Salt to taste if desired.

As best I recall you boiled the 1 part water and a splash of salt if desired in a saucepan. Then stirred in 1 part corn meal stir stir stir stir stir until you have a ball. Then stir until you get a tight lump. That's the Ugali. I was afraid I'd have a huge cleanup with corn meal everywhere. It just makes a lump of meal. Very little cleanup and it tastes like hominy.

You dont need to travel to western Africa for it.

RE: traveling for food - tx2sturgis - 06-11-2020

I'm that way with liver.

Not 'no' but HELL NO.

Dodgy

I dont eat liver. Or pretty much any organ meat. 

I do know that hotdogs, potted meat,  etc are made from assholes 'n' elbows but I dont read the package first.

Liver cheese and smoked oysters I do happen to lust over IF my iron is low however. If not I hate them.

RE: traveling for food - slow2day - 06-11-2020

^
Lips and assholes. Maybe some elbows thrown in,too.

RE: traveling for food - vanbrat - 06-12-2020

(06-11-2020, 08:28 PM)XERTYX Wrote:  In the interest of traveling for food, a friend of mine from Kenya and I used to share a lunch break. Frequently he had something he ate with his greens. I thought it might be cassava (yucca root) and I asked him one day. It looked like a boiled potato on his plate.

It was Ugali (ooh golly) he said. Corn meal and water.

I made it according to his directions. If I recall it was 1 part water 1 part cornmeal. Salt to taste if desired.

As best I recall you boiled the 1 part water and a splash of salt if desired in a saucepan. Then stirred in 1 part corn meal stir stir stir stir stir until you have a ball. Then stir until you get a tight lump. That's the Ugali. I was afraid I'd have a huge cleanup with corn meal everywhere. It just makes a lump of meal. Very little cleanup and it tastes like hominy.

You dont need to travel to western Africa for it.
Something more to try with corn.

RE: traveling for food - vanbrat - 06-12-2020

(06-11-2020, 08:40 PM)XERTYX Wrote:  I dont eat liver. Or pretty much any organ meat. 

I do know that hotdogs, potted meat,  etc are made from assholes 'n' elbows but I dont read the package first.

Liver cheese and smoked oysters I do happen to lust over IF my iron is low however. If not I hate them.
We don't eat any organ meat if we can help it. It is really bad for gout and hubby has gout. I must admit though sometimes I sneak in some liverwurst sandwiches if he is not around. I know it is gross stuff, but I ate it growing up and liked it...… I think mostly 'cause it grossed out my sister and sisters do crap like that. I have developed a liking for mussels and oysters and some clams since living on the Island … but just the ones cooked really well at one or two places. I guess I got spoiled.

RE: traveling for food - XERTYX - 06-13-2020

(06-11-2020, 09:39 PM)slow2day Wrote:  ^
Lips and assholes. Maybe some elbows thrown in,too.
Yeah that's why I dont read the package. XD
My brother got me to read the label on potted meat as a kid and I didnt eat it for years.
(06-12-2020, 11:29 AM)vanbrat Wrote:  We don't eat any organ meat if we can help it. It is really bad for gout

I have developed a liking for mussels and oysters and some clams since living on the Island … but just the ones cooked really well at one or two places. I guess I got spoiled.
Yeah i have to be careful about purine rich foods. I suppose its gout that I get in my foot from time to time. Now that I know what makes my foot sore the day before it gets inflamed I take naproxen sodium over the counter and for the next few days and I dont have to walk with a cane for a week anymore. Maybe its because I've broken that foot twice. A green limb fracture as a kid when I fell out of a tree, and later as an adult I was pissed off at my boss and kicked a rack in the back room. SNAP! I knew instantly it was broken. I didnt have insurance so I wrapped it in ace bandages and wore like 6 pair of socks on it for a few weeks. It never healed right and used to click sometimes when i walked. Rub some dirt on it and walk it off. Tongue

I only eat smoked oysters from a can. I tried smoked mussels from a can once and OMG. Idk if someone SHAT in that can or what, but it was enough to put me off of trying them ever again.

RE: traveling for food - LERCA - 06-18-2020

LOL I’m mostly a vegetarian (eat eggs and a little fish) but my dog isn’t so I buy her those little cans of Underwood Deviled ham and chicken to get her to take her pills. The first time I asked the lady at Walmart where it was she said oh we used to call that dog food. It smells like really cheap dog food. I shudder to think what’s in it. I have an elderly friend who ate huge portions of every kind of meat three times a day all his life and his kidneys are now failing. Too much protein apparently.