VanDweller Community Forums
Back doors - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Insulation (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Back doors (/showthread.php?tid=39997)

Pages: 1 2

Back doors - BILLandSHEILA - 04-24-2020

Bill and I are curious. We are researching the subject and finding very little. Who has their back doors insulated or covered? What materials did you use and why?

Thanks so much!

RE: Back doors - highdesertranger - 04-24-2020

I am assuming you are talking about a van and not a box truck or cargo trailer, right? highdesertranger

RE: Back doors - BILLandSHEILA - 04-24-2020

Yes. The back doors on a van.

RE: Back doors - crofter - 04-24-2020

How I insulated the back:
I cut a piece of 1 inch polyISO XPS to fit the window. Then covered it with old nylon reflective window covers, one side reflective and other side black out. Assembled with hot glue gun, added some magnets to hold it on the steel. They also have ties for extra hold. Flip depending on the season.

The nylon window covers are great heat reflectors, I have had mine for years. 

I did not insulate the garage area, no need to with the bed above it. If you wanted insulation, you could add a sheet of polyISO XPS under the mattress. 

I have thought about removing the plastic covers on the lower doors and using the lower doors for storage for light items, especially the cargo door. Plastic shoe caddy for the top of the cargo door, attached to the ribs there.

-crofter

Spring covers
https://www.target.com/p/type-s-standard-ultimate-spring-sunshade/-/A-17078485?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Home%2BImprovement%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Home%2BImprovement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=1013523&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNTKoE2Bk7QksDJelFlj9TJ1OdqnOI4SKNg1alQXdOTXGAbrPM2PjHxoCcQ8QAvD_BwE

Shade screen, to make screened barrier for doors-open lounging
https://ezsnapdirect.com/store/rv-shade-kits/mesh-by-the-foot-mesh-only-rv-window-shade-kit/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNQtDPK9lPFHXeyOQfWzoEh8vCax_I9OhfOxjtKala0qrAW51ELaafRoCaJgQAvD_BwE

RE: Back doors - slow2day - 04-24-2020

You caught me at the right time. I'm adding some electrical outlets to one of my rear doors and I have it apart.

The doors originally were upholstered with fabric over thin plywood and had 'accordion'-type blinds covering the windows. It's an old van and the blinds were trashed so I took them out. 1/2" polyiso foam insulation was used to block out the windows and I will be adding another layer of 1/2" foam. You can see that the door is stuffed with fiberglass insulation. The conversion companies probably used it mostly to dampen noise, not weather effects.

I used FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) to cover the rear doors and also the side doors. I'm covering the inside of a toilet/shower area with FRP now and if I have enough left over I will cover the rear windows with it,too.  A 4'x8' sheet is $30 at HD or Lowes. It's thin and easy to cut and work with. At first I used pop rivets to hold it on but now used 1/2" self-tapping screws.

[attachment=25582][attachment=25583][attachment=25584]

RE: Back doors - slow2day - 04-24-2020

Here's a shot of a side door. I didn't have enough to do it with one piece:

[attachment=25586]

Thanks very much Crofter! We have also looked at the use of storage as well. Thanks again for the great tips!

Super helpful slow2day! Thanks so much for the detailed post with pics! You and Crofter have helped tremendously! Have a great weekend! ?

RE: Back doors - Chiffed - 07-06-2020

I did a similar thing as slow2day.
Polyiso over the place where the windows would be if it had windows.
Thinsulate batting in the cavities, because it still allows the locks and rods to move. I have just enough for the slider cavity too.
Spray foam for the crannies.
Covered the whole thing in reflectix for now, because I had lots. Gonna leave it til after the shakedown cruise so I know what I really need.
JUST before I covered it up I added pulls for the door catch and lock so I can lock-up or escape from the inside. I felt like an almost-idiot for almost-forgetting.

RE: Back doors - rokguy - 07-08-2020

highdesertranger Wrote:I am assuming you are talking about a van and not a box truck or cargo trailer,  right?  highdesertranger
I know this isn't the case here but for anyone new ......On barn doors on a boxtruck, a simply second wall spaced inboard can be built using plywood sheets or an insulated wooden framework.
Advantages...just my 20 cents worth.... makes a good covered entry porch if moved further inboard. Allows a good thermal break between the 2 and by keeping the original doors in place allow a more secure locked vehicle + makes it more stealth like from the rear.