VanDweller Community Forums
New South Dakota resident - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: New South Dakota resident (/showthread.php?tid=7717)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

New South Dakota resident - Van-Tramp - 04-03-2014

It is final. The paper work – complete with 2 copies of my passport, 4 of my license, 4 of my SSN card, five notary stamps, and checks totally almost $280 – is in the mail to the officials in South Dakota. In a few weeks I will receive the plates, titles, and registration for Big Blue and the Datsun in the mail. My new Federal-official address, provided by Your Best Address, is in Sioux Falls South Dakota as of today.

I guess I will have to drop in on my new home state soon… I’ve never been there.

RE: New South Dakota resident - mockturtle - 04-03-2014

I'm considering SD, too. Maybe go with America's Mailbox. Western South Dakota is beautiful with the badlands, etc.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Van-Tramp - 04-03-2014

I do not know America's Mailbox, but I have to say that Larry at Your Best Address was beyond helpful. He actually spent an hour on the phone going through all the paperwork, line by line, with me (which is standard service from him). I would certainly recommend them on his customer service alone.

RE: New South Dakota resident - slow2day - 04-03-2014

Do you plan to get a SD driver's license also? I notice on the YBA site they state that it isn't necessary in order to register your vehicle.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Van-Tramp - 04-04-2014

I have not planned on getting a license, but it is a possibility. For now I will keep my CO license.

RE: New South Dakota resident - slow2day - 04-04-2014

Wouldn't having tags and a DL from different states raise eyebrows with LEOs if you were stopped? I'm trying to decide on SD or NV and SD seems easier. The CCW appears easier to get also.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Van-Tramp - 04-04-2014

It may raise some eyebrows, but there is no laws against it so I do not need to justify it to any LEO either.

Yes, SD CCW is very easy; One month of residency in state (RV park will suffice), apply for permit ($10), and within a week or two you have it. SD does not even require any proof of classes or training. I will likely do this (along with a SD license) when I get around to spending a month in the state. For now, I am on year-2 (of 5) of my Colorado CCW, so I am in no rush.

RE: New South Dakota resident - slow2day - 04-04-2014

(04-04-2014, 11:39 AM)Van-Tramp Wrote:  It may raise some eyebrows, but there is no laws against it so I do not need to justify it to any LEO either.

I did some more poking around on the DMV site and did see that their policy allows that. They just want you to have an address in your home state on file with the forwarder.

RE: New South Dakota resident - 66788 - 07-30-2014

(04-03-2014, 06:40 PM)Van-Tramp Wrote:  It is final. The paper work – complete with 2 copies of my passport, 4 of my license, 4 of my SSN card, five notary stamps, and checks totally almost $280 – is in the mail to the officials in South Dakota. In a few weeks I will receive the plates, titles, and registration for Big Blue and the Datsun in the mail. My new Federal-official address, provided by Your Best Address, is in Sioux Falls South Dakota as of today.

I guess I will have to drop in on my new home state soon… I’ve never been there.

Since you are doing this by mail, I assume that there is no smog inspection or safety inspection for your vehicles? That could be a positive thing!

Please let me know via PM.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Sameer - 07-31-2014

Thank you for this information...I have been looking into this after being told by my Sister that I cannot use her home as my 'home-base'. I have researched this and South Dakota makes everything 'very' easy. No vehicle inspections, everything can be done by mail and you don't have to visit the state unless you want a South Dakota Drivers License. Affordable too!