VanDweller Community Forums
New South Dakota resident - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: New South Dakota resident (/showthread.php?tid=7717)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

New South Dakota resident - Luisafernandes - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 10:09 AM)Van-Tramp Wrote:  Yes Luis, SD would be just fine with the van. Easy as pie to get an address and the vehicle(s) registered.

Getting the license requires you to show up in the state, and to the DMV. I do not think there is any other way to get it.

Cool, thank you!

Do you know if the driver's license with photo needs to be renewed every few years?

RE: New South Dakota resident - Van-Tramp - 06-29-2015

I would assume every 5 years, but I have not gotten mine yet to confirm that.

Very good, thank you!

RE: New South Dakota resident - Optimistic Paranoid - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 06:17 AM)Luisafernandes Wrote:  Jay, I currently have a Pennsylvania address, and with working full time having residence at a free income tax state like SD would be great.

Luis, I'm not sure it's going to help you with that at all.  You're Federal taxes won't change, and, as far as state taxes go, many states require anyone WORKING in their state to file a state tax return, even if they live out of state.

Bob did a blog post on this issue back in the early spring.  You should search for that.  I think there was something about filing SEVERAL state returns if you moved around a lot and worked in multiple states during the year.  ( I confess I didn't really pay too much attention since it didn't really apply to me. )

Regards
John

(06-29-2015, 11:48 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote:  Luis, I'm not sure it's going to help you with that at all.  You're Federal taxes won't change, and, as far as state taxes go, many states require anyone WORKING in their state to file a state tax return, even if they live out of state.

Bob did a blog post on this issue back in the early spring.  You should search for that.  I think there was something about filing SEVERAL state returns if you moved around a lot and worked in multiple states during the year.  ( I confess I didn't really pay too much attention since it didn't really apply to me. )

Regards
John

Hey John!
You might be right. I know the federal taxes won't change, and was hoping I wouldn't have to pay state tax, but I might. With working in Jersey and having a PA address I only pay PA taxes, not both. But since SD has no state tax I might have to pay NJ.
It still won't change my mind on setting up residence in SD.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Simran - 06-29-2015

I live in SD and have worked in other states a lot with my job. John is right. You will end up paying state income tax in whatever state you work in. The only way it really helps people is with vehicle insurance, Soc. Security and tabs. There are actually some states where tabs are cheaper. Insurance is cheap here because it is a rural state and little ins. fraud. those are the two aspects of cheap ins.

RE: New South Dakota resident - Simran - 06-29-2015

I live in SD and have worked in other states a lot with my job. John is right. You will end up paying state income tax in whatever state you work in. The only way it really helps people is with vehicle insurance, Soc. Security and tabs. There are actually some states where tabs are cheaper. Insurance is cheap here because it is a rural state and little ins. fraud. those are the two aspects of cheap ins.
The way to get the best info. is through some of the private post offices here in SD. They know the whole skinny on this and are ready and willing to answer any questions you may have. There should be contact info. in this thread somewhere if you look back.

Thank you Simran!

RE: New South Dakota resident - WriterMs - 06-29-2015

About 1.5 years ago, I became a resident and a few months later went up for my driver's license. I use My Dakota Address (Terri Lund) which is in the small town of Madison, SD. Since it is a small town, getting around and whisking in and out of the driver's license process was very easy and quick (tho the driver's license office is set up in the courthouse basement only a day or two a week, so schedule the proper day).

When I did the driver's license, they told me (and I did read it on the web site) that I needed to stay one night in the state (a motel or campground receipt is needed to show you did). There is a lovely campground just outside of Madison.

I found insurance for my homemade extended van but I had to go through a few phone calls to get it. The whole "homemade" thing was the hold up. But I ended up going through Good Sam (which went to National General Insurance). My private vehicle insurance actually has an RV rider which provides up to $5,000 in contents coverage included in the price (about $50 per month). I think the vehicle insurance is where you will want to have your state residence and DL match up.

Early in my career, I wrote marketing communications for Allstate at their corp headquarters, and I have to agree with the early poster about not trying to fake out an insurer. What good is having the insurance at all if you get a claim denied because they can show you lied?

Finally, I have a warning or at least an alert for anyone who gets health insurance through the marketplace. SD did not set up with the extended Medicaid thingy -- the whole political stand off. What that means is that I had health insurance for the first year of a "grace period" for getting insurance. But this year, my income makes me fall through the cracks -- I make too much to get assistance with premiums but not enough to actually afford my own coverage. Terri at my mailing service says all the mailing services are concerned about this -- they are losing customers who go to other states that are more healthcare friendly. Frankly, I'm going to do some more research and I may be one of those who bolts. BTW, I used to live in NV and found their vehicle registrations and such to be very expensive.

Thank You WriterMs! Good info!