VanDweller Community Forums
Work - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Money Matters: Jobs, Banking, Budgeting (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Work (/showthread.php?tid=82)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Mouldy - 01-21-2011

I know quite a few of you have Social Security/Pension/VA income, but what about the people that don't on here? (and specifically the people that get to travel a bit more)<br><br>I'm a recent college graduate and keep getting denied for jobs. I'm leaving one way or another in 6 weeks for SoCal to my brothers for a couple weeks to help him out with erecting some buildings and what not. After that (assuming no jobs come my way) i'm kinda SOL. So enlighten me on how you make money!<br><br>I do amateur photography, construction, and my major is in geography. All of which are really slow right now...<br><br>

- Les H - 01-21-2011

Hey Mouldy,
First , let me say right off the bat, I am not living full time in a vehicle. I am a self employed contractor in upstate Ny. My van's picture in my aviator is in front of a house that I have been rebuilding for over a year and a half when time And money allow. I do travel some for work, and there is a tab in the index to the left called workcamping. Also, if you join the vandwellers site at the yahoo forums, this is discussed quite often, lots of good info in the archives. I know some people do art or crafts,, some do flea Mkts. and craft fairs. One person I have heard of goes from house to house house sitting for people that are away. Some make money online. Since retirement is not a likely option for me, I will probably try to find a way to hit the road with my tools, at least the more portable ones. I will defiantly follow the posts to your thread, as I would like to have more options too.

- 1oleman - 01-22-2011

<P>Altho I'm retired on Social Security and a disabled vet,&nbsp; I too will follow this as I can use any additional income I can find.&nbsp; I'm trying to get the materials to start making custom silver jewelery again.&nbsp; Ed</P>

- Tara - 01-23-2011

1 - be creative. People want something you can do for them, figure out how to market it on the road (craigslist, fliers, door to door, street corner).

2 - the Internet. Look at where people are spending money and see if you can be the one who gets it.

- akrvbob - 01-24-2011

Right now is the time to be getting a campground hosting job. There are lots of them and it has worked extremely well for me. Since you are a seasonal worker, you can draw unemployment in the winter. The company I work for is hiring lots of people right now for May employment. Go here:<br>http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openings<br>Bob<br><br>

- Mouldy - 01-24-2011

Thanks for the link, Bob. I'm kinda torn on what to do. I have about 20 applications out right now and i'd like to think i'd have a good shot at getting one of them. I won't know of them til March maybe and by then i'm sure almost all host jobs will be gone. What are the jobs that you posted paying roughly (8 bucks mayber?) so I could figure out what to draw for unemployment in winter.<br>

- CP - 01-31-2011

Hey Bob,<br>Did you have your auto registered in the states you were hosting in?&nbsp; Here in the cities of California the Cops are real hard assed about anyone working with out of states plates.&nbsp; I was wondering if you could get by on the hosting sites with out of states plates.&nbsp; Thanks for the great site!<br><br>

- akrvbob - 02-01-2011

Most all campground hosting jobs pay minimum wage of the state they are in. So when I was in CO I was paid $7 an hour, when I was in CA the minimum was $8, but the company I worked for paid us $8.50. <br><br>I have Nevada plates and I have worked in CO and CA. I have heard of that problem in CA before and I was a little worried about it. I went into the tiny mountain town of Shaver Lake, CA on all my days off and got online at a little country store/cafe. The Sheriff was often there eating or working, and he never gave me a second glance. I think there is generally a different attitude up in the mountians from the major population centers. On the other hand, I know several hosts who were quite remote and just never went into town. Either way I think you are quite safe.<br><br>Every year I have been a host we have had a few people never show-up, quit or be fired. So jobs do come up through the summer. There are many less than in the winter, so you have to be very persistent. Bob<br><br>

- mountaintramp - 02-13-2011

hey Bob<br><br>do you know of any paying camp host jobs that are during the winter months, in either the california low desert or in AZ? Anza Burrego SP would be cool, but you work for a camp site, no $$. <br><br>

- sl1966 - 02-13-2011

Hi Mouldy,<div><br></div><div>I know this won't help you now, but later in the year it will. Amazon hires seasonal help at their Kansas processing center. Basically it's all packing and shipping type work. ExpressPro is the name of the staffing agency that's working with Amazon and full timers. The pay is around $11 per hour and I've read that&nbsp;they pay for your campsite (tent, van, TT, or RV) for the duration of your employment there. I haven't confirmed this with ExpressPro yet.</div><div><br></div><div>In the meantime. If you've got a laptop and can muster some internet access from time to time. I've heard that you can get a writing gig or two. I've heard this repeatedly from other FTr's. I don't know myself because I don't write for a living. I work in IT and have found other ways to make $$$ on the road using those skills.</div><div><br></div><div>Steve</div>